Opening Hours... Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 7:00 pm
Saturday 8:30 am - 1.00 pm, Sunday 9:00 am - 12.30 pm

Cedar Grove Vets
Pet Passports

The pet passport scheme is changing, whether its deal or no deal pre and post Brexit. If you are thinking about travelling with you pet in 2019, please contact us for the latest information or click on our links for the official government websites with the latest information

en travelling with your pet dog, cat or ferret, the rules you must follow depend on the country you are going to or coming from.


You can enter or return to the UK with your pet cat, dog or ferret if it:

  • has been microchipped
  • has a pet passport or third-country official veterinary certificate
  • has been vaccinated against rabies – it will also need a blood test if you’re travelling from an “unlisted country”
  • dogs must also usually have a tapeworm treatment.

Pet passports

Your dog, cat or ferret must have a pet passport or third country official veterinary certificate to enter (or re-enter) the UK.

Getting a pet passport if you live in Northern Ireland:

From Monday 7th January 2019 you can obtain a pet passport directly from one of the veterinary practices participating in the scheme. Cedar Grove Veterinary Clinic are one of the practices continuing to participate in the scheme. Please contact us on 02890 705777 if you require a passport for your pet.

The passport stays valid as long as you continue to meet the entry requirements.

Third country official veterinary certificate

Outside of the EU authorised vets issue official veterinary certificates instead of pet passports.

This certificate allows your pet to enter the UK (or another country in the EU). You’ll need other supporting documents too. Check your certificate for full details.

You must arrive in an EU country within 10 days of the date the certificate was issued. You can then use it for up to 4 months for travel within the EU.

Other documents

Your transport company may need a statement from your vet confirming that your pet is fit to travel.

Check with the country you’re travelling to for information about any extra documents you’ll need to enter with your pet.

Pet Travel to the EU after Brexit

In the event of a ‘no deal’, you will need to contact your vet at least four months in advance of the date you wish to travel to the EU with your pet.

Rules for pet travel to the EU

The rules for taking your pet to a European country will change in the event the UK leaves the EU with no deal and is treated as an unlisted third country.

The rules for unlisted third country for travel to the EU are set out in EU Pet Travel Regulations.(external link opens in a new window / tab)

You will still need to get your dog, cat or ferret microchipped and then vaccinated against rabies before it can travel.

You will also need to take the following steps to make sure your pet can travel after 29 March 2019:

  • Your pet must have a blood sample taken at least 30 days after the rabies vaccination. You will need to talk to your vet about whether you need a rabies vaccination or booster before this test. 
  • Your vet must send the blood sample to an EU-approved blood testing laboratory.
  • The results of the blood test must show that the vaccination was successful. 
  • You must wait 3 calendar months from the date the successful blood sample was taken before you travel.
  • Take your pet to an Authorised Veterinary Inspector (AVI), no more than 10 days before travel to get a health certificate.

In a no deal scenario, pet passports issued in the UK would not be valid for travel to the EU.

You should discuss these requirements with your vet at least 4 months before you plan on travelling.

A successful blood test will continue to be valid as long as your pet’s rabies vaccinations are kept up to date with boosters.

Pets that have previously had a blood test and have an up-to-date rabies vaccination do not need to repeat the blood test.

Your pet health certificate would be valid for:

  •  ten days after the date of issue for entry into the EU,
  •  four months of onward travel within the EU.
  •  re-entry to the UK for four months after the date of issue

You will need to enter the EU through a designated Travellers’ Point of Entry (TPE)(external link opens in a new window / tab) if you are travelling with your pet. At the TPE, in addition to your pet's health certificate, you may be asked for:

  • proof of your pet's microchip
  • proof of an up to date rabies vaccination 
  • evidence of your pet's blood test result

You are advised to contact the competent veterinary authority in the country you are travelling to in order to confirm specific entry requirements including locations of TPEs.


When you return to Northern Ireland

As Northern Ireland does not have any pet approved routes.  All pet animals travelling here must enter the UK through a pet approved route via Great Britain (GB) or the Republic of Ireland (RoI).  When the pet has been cleared in GB or RoI the pet is free to travel onward to NI. Owners who travel directly into Northern Ireland must do so under an Import Authorisation issued by the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs. Please complete an application for an Import Authorisation at least 10 days before your pet enters Northern Ireland.  If you complete the attached application you must also engage the services of an approved quarantine establishment to facilitate the checking of accompanying paperwork as we do not have the facilities at the airport to do this.  You will have to pay for this service.

On arrival if you don’t have the correct documents or your pet hasn’t been properly prepared it will be licenced into quarantine until it fully meets the entry requirements or sent back to the country it travelled from. You must pay the costs for this.


For further details please see


Additional resources






Newsletter Signup

Offers, events and animal advice

Follow Cedar Grove

Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus & YouTube